Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Thing 11

My Library does not have its own mobile page or App, but we do have a few Apps that we have subscribed to and use. We have the Chronicle of Higher Education App and the Press Reader App from Newspaper Direct. We also have Browzine, an App  we have paid for that allows our users to create virtual bookshelves of journals in their subject areas. Individual articles can be saved and read offline in an easier to read tablet format. It is easy to organize your professional reading using this tool.

We have publicized all these tools in our LibGuides subject guides, our newsletter, our homepage, and on our electronic monitors throughout the Library. I am not sure if we can get any statistics for these Apps, but it would be interesting to know if they are being used given the time we have devoted to them. I, myself, enjoy reading on tablets and reading journal articles is (to me) better on a tablet than on a computer screen. You can tilt the screen and bring it closer to your face and sit anywhere you like (almost like reading a book) Even though the Apps work on phones, I am not sure I would ever read articles on a
phone.

 Browzine iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment