Friday, June 13, 2014

Thing 18

Thing 18 is education and I tried several of the apps. I know some Spanish so I tried Duolingo which is a completely free language learning program. The webpage says that Duolingo will always be free because the users "create value" by translating documents while they learn. However, I did not see any option for this in the application but then again, maybe you have to pass all the modules before they would let you do any translating. I tried a few basic lessons and they seem to assume that you know certain things before you start. Since I did know some things I had no problem but I think it would take some creative thinking to catch on that the article ending usually matches the noun ending and other basic rules of grammar. Still the website cites a study that indicates the app is as effective as a semester of a college language. You can't beat that!

I also installed Today's Document by the National Archives and Records Administration. The app brings up a different historical document for each day. Today's document (June 13) is the opinion of the court by chief Justice Earl Warren in the Case of Miranda v. Arizona, 06/13/1966. I sent it back to my birthday and found the D-day statement to soldiers, sailors, and airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force, 6/44. This is a great way to pick up on tidbits of history. Imagine how you could impress your friends in games of trivia.

I am of the opinion that you can learn almost anything you want on the Internet, so whatever you need, just Google it.


No comments:

Post a Comment