Saturday, June 7, 2014

Thing 3

I have used QR code readers and think they are very useful. I have snapped them from webpages, newspapers, and most recently from a magazine I get. If you find a code in an article you are reading, the QR code reader takes you right to a related tutorial--very useful.

So, I decided to try something I have not done before and the StandApp looked interesting since that is the latest buzz about workplace health. According to the information for the App, sitting at work can lead to health issues such as "obesity, cardiovascular disease, poor cholesterol, high blood pressure, breast and colon cancer, type 2 diabetes, and overall higher mortality rate." We all know we should get up every now and then so this App seems like it would be beneficial.

The StandApp only opens in portrait mode which I find annoying. Set up of the app takes place the first time you open it. You first set the interval that you want--I selected 15 minutes so I could see it in action sooner. I think if I actually used it, I would do more like 60 minutes.The app starts counting down and at the end a video exercise comes up to get you on your feet and moving. (a word was spelled wrong on the screen which is also annoying) The App popped up on time and started a 5 minute countdown doing a neck stretch. I was advised to remain standing even if not performing the exercise. I was allowed to "snooze, skip, list or do more." The list brought up 9 other video exercises to do. I thought this was a good idea since five minutes of neck stretching seemed a little extreme. My favorite exercise was coffee break which showed me how to walk down the hall and get coffee. The "do more" link went to an advertisement for a stand up workstation.

I think this App would be good for workaholics who lose track of time sitting at their desks and might serve to get get them on their feet more. It is a good reminder for the rest of us and might get us into the habit of standing up and doing a few stretches throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment