Friday, June 13, 2014

Thing 19

Thing 19 is hobbies. I have been intrigued by geocaching ever since I went to a conference in another state and one of my colleagues was having a nice walk and entertaining himself by trying to find a nearby geocache. Since then I have attended sessions on geocaching in the Library at two different conferences, bought my husband a GPS thinking he might be interested in it (wrong!) and downloaded the app, c:geo, to my first smartphone. When I sit in my office and turn on the app, I see a whole page full of caches that are within a half mile of me. Someday I am going to go out and find them!

The app is completely free and if other people are using the same app, you can see their location and what cache they are going after. Libraries could use them in scavenger hunts for different locations and services--I imagine most students have a phone that they could use for this. I think it would be fun, but I think I would rather take part in something like this than organize it.


No comments:

Post a Comment