Sunday, June 8, 2014

Thing 4

Flipboard sounded like too much work for me so I selected Zite. The App scans millions of articles each day, categorizes them and delivers them to interested readers. It was extremely easy to set up with a dangerously long list of interesting subjects to add to a reading list. As soon as I added a bunch, I was lost in the reading, going from article to article and scanning through the different subject areas. This is a dangerous app for me and I am afraid that I could lose whole days wandering around in it. I think that I would need to limit myself to one topic and maybe limit my time so that I don't waste too much time reading through articles.

Zite has agreements with many publishers including Bleacher Report, CNN, The Daily Beast, FOX Sports, HLN tv, The Huffington Post, Motley Fool, The Next Web and VentureBeat. I saw many different sources and the educator in me wants to remind people to evaluate their sources. The App learns about the reader's preferences from articles that are read and gets smarter the more you use it.

I also discovered that FlipBoard has bought Zite so who knows how much longer it will be around. As we have seen Apps can have a very limited life and makes you want to stick with the ones that have been around for a while. I did enjoy testing Zite and plan to get back to it when I finish the 23 Things.

No comments:

Post a Comment